Trophies

Inscriptions on ‘Silver’ cups held by Terry Sealey

Terry is an ex Pupil and Teacher at Dr Morgan’s Grammar School and a current Member of Old Morganians – in 2020. Terry took custody of the Cups when they were likely to be discarded after Dr Morgan’s became Haygrove Comprehensive School in 1973.
During a visit to the home of Terry Sealey by Bill King (Chairman of Old Morganians), Tony Wilkins (Committee Member) and Roger Richards (Secretary of Old Morganians), RR made the following notes on the cups TS had on display:

Gillard Cup: Dr Morgan’s School Bridgwater Cross Country. Challenge Cup Presented by Percival C.S. Gillard March 1937

Eaton Cup: Presented by Miss P Eaton in Memory of Dennis Davey ‘Dennis Davey Sports Cup’. (Note by RR: Although listed by Chris Lawrence as the Eaton Cup it would appear that this should more appropriately be referred to as the Dennis Davey Sports Cup.)

Waddon Cup: Dr Morgan’s School The Waddon Cup for Social Services Presented by Miss Waddon 1939.

Poplar Cup: Presented to Dr Morgan’s School by the School of Engineering & Navigation, Poplar London In grateful recognition of the hospitality given to the Evacuated School during the World War September 1939-June 1945.

Williams Cup: D.M.S. 220 Yds Race in Memory of Don Williams W.D. Pilot, RAF who died on Active Services April 20th 1945.

Herbert Pollard Cup: Senior Cricket Trophy Presented by Mr Herbert Pollard.

Trenchard Cup: The Trenchard Cup Presented by Mrs C. Trenchard 1947.

Victor Ludoram Cup? This is a very ornamental cup with no formal inscription but on the base informally scratched was ‘Victor Ludoram’. TS suggested that this cup would have been presented to the best overall performer in athletics sports.

Waddon Rose Bowl? No markings at all on this bowl that has a metallic wire grid across the upper surface of the bowl. TS said he thought this was known as the Waddon Bowl but there is no indication on the bowl to support this.

Catlow Bowl Awarded for Athletics

Gillard Cup Awarded for Cross Country

Eaton Cup Awarded for 440 yards

Hasking Cup Awarded for Mile

Waddon Cup Awarded for Social Services

Old Morganian’s Cup Awarded for Seven-a-side

Poplar Cup Awarded for Rugby

Williams Cup Awarded for 220 yards

The Poplar Cup and the Williams Cup were donated to the school in 1945. The former was given by the London School evacuated to Bridgwater at the start of the Second World War who used Dr. Morgan’s buildings. The latter trophy was presented by the parents of an Old Morganian who was killed during the war.

Trophies awarded in 1959

Catlow Bowl Awarded for Athletics

Gillard Cup Awarded for Cross Country

Eaton Cup Awarded for 440 yards

Hasking Cup Awarded for Mile

Waddon Cup Awarded for Social Services

Old Morganian’s Cup Awarded for Seven-a-side

Poplar Cup Awarded for Rugby

Williams Cup Awarded for 220 yards

Herbert Pollard Cup Awarded for Cricket

Masding Cup Awarded for Swimming

Trenchard Cup Awarded for Junior Cricket

Dr Morgan’s Cup Awarded to Junior House

John Berry Cup Awarded for Basketball

Hellier Cup Awarded for Swimming

Moon Cup Awarded for Junior Swimming

Heseltine Cup Awarded for Tennis

Dr. Morgans Pestle and Mortar